The First Guns To Buy Before The Upcoming Gun Ban


For those of you starting out in prepping or looking to purchase a gun for home defense best prepper guns. Before we get into the list, I like to share the thought process that went into these decisions.

Since I started prepping back in 2007, my days to varying degrees are filled with a sense of expectation that wanes or increases with current events and trends. My reason for prepping was and remains to be able to protect my family from disasters whether man-made or natural in origin and it is that goal that causes me to look to the future for warning signs. Some days I see problems just over the horizon and on others, the risk is further away. The sense of something in our future never leaves but the intensity changes.

If you consider yourself a prepper you may have had similar thoughts. In the beginning, there was for me a greater sense of urgency to get ready, but as I have learned and gathered supplies, that urgency has relaxed a good bit. I chalk that up to actually being prepared at some level and the comfort I gain from knowing if something does happen, I have a lot of bases covered already. It seems that I start each year with a reasonable belief that it is all going to tank “this year” only to be sitting at my home at the end of the year with my family safe from any disastrous EMP, a pandemic that ravages the planet or an economic collapse that destroys our wealth and throws everyone into a second great depression. I am not depressed or disappointed in this fact, don’t get me wrong but time passing does have a way of making me recheck my priorities and reevaluate my personal prepping plans.

I think there are 4 key survival concepts that every prepper should work on at all times to place you in the best possible position to survive anything that happens. These are Water, Food, Shelter, and Security. If you have these four bases covered, you will be so much better prepared to survive anything from a flood, hurricane, or Global pandemic. We talk about all of these survival concepts, but there is one topic that comes around frequently that generates a substantial amount of debate so I wanted to write an article that focuses on Security.

There are a lot of opinions on firearms as defensive weapons. There are also numerous laws and regulations that govern what you may be able to legally purchase. I believe that all things being equal, the best defensive weapons you can own are firearms and with that, I mind I want to discuss what I recommend everyone have if you are considering a firearm as part of your preparedness strategy.

AR-15 always makes the list for one of the best prepper guns
AR-15 always makes the list for one of the best prepper guns

What are the best prepper guns?

A shotgun makes a great first firearm for a prepper.
A shotgun makes a great first firearm for a prepper.

If you can legally own firearms I believe that there are 5 firearms that make up a well-rounded prepper battery of arms. With these 5 firearms, you will be able to deal with situations that we routinely talk about in a breakdown in society. Even if you never go through any disaster, having these firearms will benefit you in terms of security and firearms generally do not lose value, only appreciate so they are an investment that pays off in multiple ways.

I have listed the weapons below in priority order. If you can only afford one weapon, you should buy the first one on the list and add it to your arsenal as your budget/resources allow.

  1. Shotgun – If you can only have one single weapon for home defense in a collapse scenario, I recommend a shotgun. Shotguns are easy to use, the ammunition is reasonably cheap and they can pull double duty as both defensive weapons and hunting firearms. In terms of price, shotguns are cheaper than pistols (generally) and can be purchased a lot of times without the same license requirements that you have purchasing a handgun for instance.
  2. Semi-Automatic Rifle – Also known as “Assault rifles” by anyone trying to demonize guns. A semi-automatic rifle is simply one that automatically chambers another round when you pull the trigger. For the weapon to fire again, you would need to pull the trigger again. Civilians, unless they have their FFL cannot buy fully automatic weapons so to compare these semi-automatic rifles to what the police or military has is not accurate on one side. They do have many advantages though and when we think of a semi-automatic rifle for a prepper there are two that are the most common. Those two options are the AK47 and the AR-15. When it comes down to choosing which one to go with like anything on this subject there is a lot of debate, but for me personally, I believe the AR-15 is the better of the two for a variety of reasons including the interchangeability of parts and accessories. Either one will work fine and you should have one.
  3. Full-size pistol – Again, another topic that causes a lot of arguments but for the sake of inclusion I will say a 9mm, .40, or .45 would work equally well as your main defensive pistol. I am not talking about a concealed carry firearm here as I deal with that in another article. This is the nightstand gun that can also be used as your backup weapon in the event your main battle rifle (semi-automatic) is unavailable for some reason. I do not recommend only having a pistol but I think they are great to have and compliment the other firearms nicely.
  4. Long Range Rifle – The shotgun is perfect for close range. The AR-15 will definitely reach out to several hundred yards, but you likely won’t be engaging anyone at that distance. To go further 400-600 yards or to take large game animals I would go with a .308 or a .30-.06. Some will say you can simply purchase an AR chambered in .308 and kill two birds with one stone. That is one solution but it comes down to preference and who is shooting the rifle. .308 certainly has more of a kick than a .556 or .223 round.
  5. Small game Rifle – For me, this is a .22 rifle. I would not buy a .22 pistol unless I was purchasing this for a younger child or for plinking (practice). A .22 will actually kill larger game and even humans as many will argue but I would not count on that as my main weapon for defense. It is great at taking small game though and the ammo is still much cheaper than any of the other options.

Is there a best gun for home defense?

There are arguments for shotguns, pistols, and even Semi-automatic rifles as your home defensive weapon and it really comes down to what you have, what the threat is, and where you are in your home at the time in relation to the weapon. I have all of the items above but my home defense plan is different if I am in bed as opposed to out in the kitchen. It also depends on whether we are in a normal situation like now or in the middle of widespread riots and looting.

If I am in bed and someone breaks in, I won’t grab the shotgun or the rifle, I would go for the pistol. Now, that is because I have one in close proximity and I am comfortable using and firing this particular firearm. If I didn’t have any weapons at all, I would still purchase a shotgun first and that would be my home defense weapon.

Shotguns are more forgiving with aim and this could help you in a high-stress situation. Now, before anyone starts beating me up on that comment let me clarify. A shotgun is going to shoot what you are aiming at so I am not trying to say that you can just wave it in the general direction and actually hit someone, but shotgun pellets spread. If you aim at a person, the spread of the shot will more likely hit them even if your aim is a little off. Naturally, you need to practice with any firearm you have that you are planning to shoot. If you have in mind the potential for shooting someone who has entered your home you need to know exactly how this deadly tool works and become proficient in hitting what you are aiming at.

There are always considerations for penetration in a home since our walls are made from sheetrock and not concrete, but this applies to any firearm.

How much ammo do I need?

How much do you plan on shooting and how confident you will be able to purchase more ammunition when you need it? We are starting to see a return to normal on ammunition availability and cost but any upcoming legislation could change that again. When the last ammo shortage hit you were not able to easily find many of the most common calibers and what you were able to find was much more expensive. I had the benefit of having plenty of ammo stored up so I didn’t need to purchase anymore. Had the end of the world happened, I would already have a full stock of ammo for each of my weapons, but I started stocking up years ago. I have recommended ammo storage amounts listed in another article.

You should also consider an inventory system and we have a free ammo inventory spreadsheet available for download that you can use to set targets and track your own personal ammo storage amounts. This will help with budgeting as well as give you a clear idea of what you need to purchase if you have some extra money.

Now it’s your turn! What do you think are the best prepper guns to own?

Comments

  1. For long range I would definitely prefer your suggestion of .556 over another caliber if I could find .556 ammo and weapon that fired it. I'd even take a 14mm if i could find that. Of course it'd be pretty heavy...sorta like a regular .50 caliber. On second thought, maybe due to availability I'd stick with .308, or maybe .30-06 or .300, or .50

    ReplyDelete
  2. One does NOT need an FFL to buy registered (legal) full autos. A one time tax is paid and the payer receives a stamp, a literal stamp, on the registration papers. That can also be done electronically now, but the paper process is 90 years old.
    Please don’t spread misinformation about the NFA transfer process; it is already difficult enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unless you're elderly or have issues with grip and/or upper body strength, I'd say, with a FEW exceptions, never acquire a sidearm which caliber (measured in decimal fractions of a inch) doesn't start with ".4x". FWIW, I prefer the S&W 40 caliber rounds, as with moon clips, they can be used with a 10 mm revolver such as those made by Ruger.

    As for shotguns, unless you've got a lot of money, KEEP IT SIMPLE. Semi-automatic shotguns are expensive and troublesome; a pump-action, for most hunting and self-defense usage, is SUFFICIENT. In general, for HOME defense, you're using a shotgun for engagement at CLOSE RANGE, so the first shell fired had better hit the target and put it down, else, if you've hesitated and/or missed, the attacker is probably upon you ANYWAY. A decent Ithaca, Mossberg, or Remington can be had for under $500.

    As for short-range rifles, or CARBINES, I'd say any AR-pattern weapon firing .223 should meet basic requiring for longer-range home defense, plinking, varminting and/or small game. Prices and quality DO vary, and the trouble if you live in a "Blue" state is that you're ON THEIR RADAR when you acquire one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A couple of my sidearms are 5.7x28 mm caliber. Almost half of your .40 caliber minimum. Yet they will get the job done.

      Delete
    2. In states that have already outlawed semi-autos like AR's and AK's, a pistol caliber carbine may still be legal, or a pistol caliber lever action carbine in 357 or 44mag could fill the void.

      Delete
  4. AR-15 best chambered for 5.56 since it will also take.223. Not the case for AR-15 only chambered for .223 (won’t handle 5.56 caliber).
    Shotgun: would go w/ Benelli Nova since it handles 2.34”, 3.0” and 3.5” shells. Can take advantage of all shells whenever there’s a sale

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You won’t find an AR15 only chambered in 223

      Delete
  5. Oh wow, this is kind of like. the blind leading the blind.

    S&W 40 caliber is a terrible choice for a lightly practiced pistol shooter to attempt to use well; and, certainly not for any beginner to startout with.

    In my considered opinion, 40 caliber pistols are the main reason why so many police officers, quite literally, outgunned themselves and miss most of their shots.

    Why do I say this? I base this opinion on more than 50 years of both shooting, and teaching experience.

    (Not that it matters, but, I am also a frequently published author on numerous firearm topics.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are spot on, sir I’ve never seen so much gibberish passing as advice in my life.

      I also teach and instruct
      And begin my sessions that deal with personal defense with a question
      “Are you prepared to take a human life without hesitation?”

      The second question is “Tell me the hill you’re willing to die on, where is your dying ground?”

      If those issues are not crystal clear, I tell people they’re better off with non-lethal self-defense Because they’re gonna try to answer those questions when they should be pulling the trigger and make a bad situation, worse.

      You can get all kind of advice about what weapon what caliber And all the tactical stuff you can hang off of it, but at the end of the day, what are you capable of doing with your weapon?

      Is it a decision only you can make you won’t be sure that you’re right until you are well into the second thousand rounds of ammunition.

      Delete
  6. I agree with the author on having a variety of available firearms. Try to stay with common calibers for ammo availability reasons. I also agree a pump shotgun should be first on your list, 12 gauge preferably, if not a 12, then a 20 for sure. Either one will work for across the room, or out to at least 40 yards with buckshot or slugs. A pistol in 9mm or 380 shouldn't be too challenging for a casual shooter, 45acp or 10mm for experienced shooters. Newbies to handguns should start with a revolver in .38 Special or at least a .22magnum. Long-range rifle (over 300 yds) would preferably be a 30-06, 308, 270 or even a 6.5 Creedmore if your recoil sensitive. Short-range battle rifle (under 300 yds) an AR-15, an AK or even a 30-30 lever could work. For real close rifle work (100 yds or so) a lever gun in 44 mag or 357 mag will do, if your already in a state that restricts semi-autos. Lastly a .22 rifle in semi-auto or bolt is a must have for survival situations. Just my 2 cents....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to add, what ever weapon(s) you have, make sure you have plenty of ammo, (at least 500 rounds) and you practice often. Particularly with a handgun. 99% of home protection scenarios won't be at 500 yards, they'll be at 100 yards or less. So even if you only have a shotgun, or a rifle and a handgun, get very familiar with your weapons. Know how to use them without thinking about "what do I do next", is the safe on or off, etc.

      Delete
  7. If you can’t hit what you need to hit it’s all pointless.

    If you run out of ammo, it’s pointless.

    So, riot shotgun - 12ga

    Then full size Glock 9mm, if you don’t know why Glock, find out. Get about a dozen 30 rnd mags for it.

    Then AR-15 in 5.56.
    Lots of mags.

    Next quality .22 auto pistol - I like a sturdy one like Ruger MK III or newer MK IV standard

    Next .22 rifle w scope

    Next AR MOD TO .22

    ASAP 20,000 rounds of quality .22 ammo (cost today $1,1OO shipped) .5 cents/rnd (Aguila on sale)

    If you need too, get very good basic training.

    Practice w your .22 pistol every week., your 9mm at least once per month.

    You need several thousand rounds of 9 & several thousand rounds of 5.56
    A couple thousand rounds of 12 ga.

    Work up toward 100k rounds of quality .22. Remember the practice.

    It’s all about practice.
    You can eat very well in the country w a .22

    Understand that the volume of 9mm, 55.6 & .223, and .22 ammo will make it available for longer than other calibers - especially exotic calibers - that you can quickly & reliably use. Also you win on current costs.

    You will need several spare parts kits for your 5.56, google & search out what that means.

    Know the rules of safe firearm handling and ALWAYS apply them.

    Practice.

    Hit a half dollar size target from 6 yards (start at 3 yds) reliably w .22

    Small paper plate (about 6 inches) from 6 yds w 9mm. Start at 3 yds.

    Full size paper plate at 12 yds w a 9mm
    .
    Practice

    And learn to clean & maintain your pistols & rifles.

    ReplyDelete
  8. *4 years in USMC, been shooting avidly for 45 years
    AR15 since it’s reliable, low recoil, with at least 2,000 rds ammo, plus 10 each, 30 rd magazines.
    A simple, reliable 9mm handgun (Glock) with at least 500 rds ammo
    These two weapons are a good defense of home and longer range “down the street” to repel neighborhood threats.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You just need to survive the first battle. after that, there will be plenty of pick up weapons and ammo if you are not picky.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You can argue weapons and calibers forever, it is an individual decision. However for survival hunting consider a quality crossbow and/or a flintlock rifle. In a serious long term breakdown both will feed you and all the necessary components can be readily produced.

    Any gun without ammo is an awkward and inefficient club (or spear). But lead bullets or balls are easily cast, black powder is easily made, and you don’t need manufactured primers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My experience shooting in 3 gun competitions is I have seen the AR-15 fail to function sometimes, my military supplier produced AKM never has, everything to disassemble and clean it is stored right on the rifle. (except solvent and oil) Accuracy at engagement distances has never been a problem. The ability to mount optics is more limited than the AR, but can be done. I prefer a red dot for rapid engagement. Also .22 ammo can be very inconsistent, I have gotten rid of several .22 autoloaders that failed to cycle for that reason, my current, a Savage MKII, detachable magazine fed bolt action, it shoots everything.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

International Scholars Warning on Societal Disruption and Collapse (While nobody making any specific predictions, and I certainly can’t tell you that it’s going to happen on this date, in this year; I can tell you that the possibility is very real!)

How Would A Post-Apocalyptic Society Function Without Electricity And Running Water? (There were many people in America who didn't have electricity and running water well into the 1940s.)

10 Safest Places During Martial Law (During martial law, the constitution, your civil rights, and any other existing laws may be suspended, so do what you think is necessary to retain some sort of justice and control over your own life and safety.)